Au pair stay in general
additional information & hints
Why should I consider an au pair stay abroad? For whom is an au pair year the right choice? You will find helpful information below in order to answer these questions for yourself.
CareMed has its roots in a travel organization and has been working in the international exchange for more than 20 years. All employees have been abroad experiencing cultural exchange (au pair stay in America, au pair in Germany, high school etc.). In addition, we regularly visit international fairs. And as a member of IAPA (International Au pair Association) we are always up to date when it comes to au pair stays abroad. Here you will find additional information & hints that may help you to make a decision of weither being an au pair is right for you.
Meaning of the word „au pair“
„An au pair is a domestic assistant from a foreign country working for, and living as part of, a host family. Typically, au pairs take on a share of the family's responsibility for childcare as well as some housework, and receive a small monetary allowance for personal use. Au pair schemes are subject to government restrictions which specify an age range usually from late teens to mid to late twenties.“ (Wikipedia)
Reasons for an au pair stay abroad
- an au pair cares for children of her/his host family and experiences the everyday life of a foreign culture
- cost-saving possibility to gain experience abroad
- get to know people & culture of a guest country which helps to develop intercultural competence
- improve language skills
- gain experience in child care
- meet au pairs from all around the world and find friends for a life time
- valuable plus for your professional future
- an amazing year with plenty of memories & experiences abroad
An au pair stay abroad can be done worldwide. Europe and especially Germany are still important destinations for au pairs.
Many au pair applicants also decide for an au pair in America, Australia or New Zealand. Interest also gains for new au pair destinations as China or South America.